Mmm meatloaf, how wholesome and delicious! Ha, actually I wouldn't know, because I haven't had red meat in about 20 years, BUT I imagine meatloaf sparks warm tingly feelings of home for most people. I got this recipe from Sweet Tater, who in turn had modified it from Body Building. Personally I think it has a little too much cumin for me and I'll probably cut it down by half next time I make this recipe.
As it is, these little mini meatless muffins are excellent topped with sour cream, greek yogurt, taziki sauce or whatever else you can think of (Taters topped hers with yogurt and salsa mixed together). They're also good crumbled up on salads, adding a bunch of healthy protein.
- 2 packages of tempeh, crumbled
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup quick cooking oats (I used old fashioned and they turned out fine)
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
- 2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
- Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
- Spoon mixture into pan, be sure to pack down tightly or else your muffins will fall apart when you take them out!
- Bake for 12 minutes or until tops are golden brown.
- Let cool in pan before removing (I think this helps set them so they don't crumble).
Makes 12 muffins.