I found this recipe from Simple Daily Recipes on pinterest, of course. I decided to make it for two reasons: 1). I like lemon; 2). I had everything I needed in my pantry. Not having to go shopping for ingredients is actually my number one reasons for making things.
The dessert was pretty delicious, but I do have a few suggestions to the recipe, so mine is a tiny bit different from the original. Also, this recipe isn't super lemony, so if you want to pump it up a bit I'd suggest adding more lemon rind or maybe even lemon extract (you could add more lemon juice but I'm not sure how this would impact the consistence of the cream filling.
Creamy Lemon Oat Bar
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened or melted
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coat 8x8 inch pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Mix milk, lemon zest and lemon juice in medium bowl until thickened; set aside.
- Mix remaining ingredients in medium bowl until crumbly. I use a pie cutter to do this, a fork will work as well.
- Press 2/3 of the crumbly mixture in pan; bake about 10 minutes or until set.
- Spread lemon milk mixture over baked crust.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture over the lemon milk mixture, press down gently.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until edges are golden brown and center is set but soft.
- Cool completely! The cream will not come out nearly as nicely if you cut it warm.