I keep going on these health kicks where I decide I'm going to cook everything in a crock pot or join the "clean living" movement. So far none of these have really panned out. However, I'm feeling pretty icky these days and after my and Tony's weekend at the beach and pool, where we both had a rather difficult time shoving ourselves into our respective bathing suits, I've decided a stand need to be taken. So far this has consisted of eating 1 healthy thing. But who knows, maybe there will be more healthy things in my future. I hope. I'm throwing around the idea of picking up Brendan Brazier's Thrive, which seems to pretty much be the bible for vegan athletes and Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet Vegetarian Cookbook. Anyone have any experience with any of these?
This recipe is inspired by He and She Eat Clean's Quinoa and Vegetables and Glass of Win's Quinoa Tabbouleh. Except I didn't have most of the ingredients for either one so I kind of mushed them together and then came up with my own thing. It goes like this.
- 1 C of quinoa
- 2 C of vegetable broth
- 1 cucumber
- 1 sm. package of edamame
- 2 T apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C (or less if you prefer) of olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp of minced garlic
- 1 T of parsley
- Rinse quinoa and bring vegetable broth and quinoa to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed.
- Follow directions on packet for cooking edamame, I prefer mine more crunchy and microwave it for 3 minutes and let it set for 1 minute. Shell edamame and add to bowl.
- Clean and dice cucumber, add to edamame.
- Drizzle olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, parsley, and garlic over vegetables. Mix well.
- Add quinoa to vegetables and mix. Allow flavors to combine for at least 30 minutes. Serve warm or chilled.
Quinoa is a great gluten free grain and is high in protein, as is edamame. This salad makes a great low carb high protein side dish or main course.
You can also add feta cheese, any other vegetables that strike your fancy, lemon juice, or whatever else you have lying around.