I didn't realize how poor the lighting was when I took these pictures, so the colors are a little off. Pretend it looks super appetizing! I saw Love and Bellini's recipe a couple weeks ago and decided to vegetarian-ify it, which was very easy. I am not really a "measurements" kind of gal, so I winged it a little bit. For example, I don't have a parking knife...or really any sharp knife, so I used a butter knife to cut an onion, which meant that a lot of the onion didn't really make it into the pan. Oops. Either way, it still tasted great!
- 2 Tablespoons Butter or Olive Oil
- 1 Pound Penne Pasta (I prefer brown rice pasta)
- 1 Package Lightlife Italian Sausage (or 1lb real Italian Sausage)
- 1 Vidalia Onion, Chopped
- 3 Teaspoons Crushed Garlic (or 3 Cloves, Minced)
- 3/4 Cup Cooking White Wine
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 3 Tablespoons Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper
- Handful Basil, Thinly Sliced
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Cut sausage into 1/4" slices and heat butter or oil in pan, you can also use a spray like Pam since all you're really doing is preventing the sausage from burning. Brown sausage, which should take around two minutes.
- Add chopped onion and a pinch of salt. Saute until soft (but not mushy!). This can take up to 5 minutes or so.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and saute another few minutes before adding the wine.
- Let the wine reduce by half, then pour in the whipping cream and mustard. Allow to simmer together for several minutes until the flavors are thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and add pasta and basil. Coat thoroughly before serving.
- Finish with salt and pepper to taste (I like lots of pepper and didn't think this recipe needed much salt).