My lovely friend Christina at the Healthy Living Market and Cafe first introduced me to this salad when she was running one of the post-race meal tents at the Saratoga Rock 'n Run last year. For some reason, I've had a craving for it, and by some miracle, I had most the ingredients in my fridge so I decided to give it a go.
- 1 Bunch Kale (I got a bag per-shredded and washed)
- 5-6 Drops of Lemon Vitality/Lemon Essential Oil
- 4T Water
- 2 Cloves of Garlic (I used minced)
- 3-4 T Parmesan (finely grated is better than shredded)
- 3-4 T Olive Oil
- 2-4 T Panko Bread Crumbs (I squished some garlic and rosemary bruschetta toasts)
- Sale and Pepper to Taste
- Wash the kale, shake off excess moisture and blot dry with paper towels or cloth. Remove and discard stalks. Finely shred kale leaves with a sharp knife and place 4-5 cups of shredded leaves in a large bowl.
- Mix water and Lemon Vitality and pour over kale and toss.
- Mash the garlic cloves using the flat edge of a knife on a cutting board to form a paste (or use a garlic press) and add to kale, tossing thoroughly to combine.
- Drizzle olive oil over kale, toss.
- Sprinkle finely grated parmesan over salad or try some dry jack cheese for a change of pace.
- Toss and then sprinkle panko bread crumbs over the salad and toss to combine.
- Season with salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Allow to sit for about 15-20 minutes to combine flavors.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Put it all in a bag and shake it and let it sit for 20 minutes. Ta da!